New MLIS master, with two digital certificates; four internships and one practicum. These include working with identifying and selecting collections, accessioning, audio transcription, metadata creation, editing, and cross-walking, archival materials handling and arrangement, research, programs facilitation, and taxonomy development.
TAXONOMY & METADATA:
- Development of keywords and tags for Digital Asset Management Systems.
- Use of controlled vocabularies. Metadata mapping and input guidelines.
- Exposure & beginning use of encoded records (HTML, XML): Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD, VRA Core.
- Creation of administrative, technical, preservation, structural, and right and access metadata.
- Respond to and manage diverse groups of customers.
- Identify needs and uncover problems for complete solutions
- Follow through, relationship building, vendor management.
- Excellent communication skills, written, oral, online, and phones.
TRAINING & DEMONSTRATION:
- Staff training on core competencies, behavioral support with customer interactions and sales.
- Live public demonstrations, and one on one instruction.
- Business practice training: inventory management, banking, CAD design, facilities, and vendors.
ARCHIVES, DESIGN, PHOTOGRAPHY:
- Archival handling, housing, and arrangement.
- Archival finding aids. Collection assessment.
- Webpage, and marketing materials design.
- Merchandising and exhibition design.
- Portrait and documentary photography.
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) – Dominican University – May 2018
- Certificates in Digital Libraries and Digital Curation
- E-Portfolio Website- https://encoremlis.com
- Relevant Coursework: Intro to Library and Information Science, Organization of Knowledge, Reference and Information Services, Management of Library and Information Centers, Searching Electronic Databases, Internet Fundamentals and Design, Introduction to Archival Principles, Practices and Services, Metadata for Digital Resources, Database Management, Systems Analysis and Design, Special Topic-XSLT, Northwestern Practicum, Digital Curation, Digital Libraries, and e-portfolio. GPA 3.975
- Honors & Awards: Scholarship from Dominican University, to attend the Henry Stewart DAM conference, September 2016, the art and practice of managing digital media.
- One of 40 student participants, nationally selected by the American Library Association for the Student 2 Staff Intern work program, the annual conference in Chicago, June 2017.
- Bachelor of Arts in Photography – Columbia College Chicago
- Windows, IOS, Android platforms, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Word
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Photoshop
- OCLC CONTENTdm, digital collection construction
- Database and Internet research skills, identifying reputable, and open resource databases
- Digital Asset Management Systems, Merlin, and Starchive, taxonomy development
- Database table design, Access, and beginning SQL, XSLT
- Website Design, HTML, CSS
- Digitization and metadata development
Bensenville Community Public Library_________November 2018-Present
Digitization and Metadata Specialist
- Full metadata design and image uploading using CONTENTdm of the historic collection of maps and photographs.
- Digitization-scanning, and oversize digital photography editing with Adobe Photoshop.
- Archival arrangement and reorganization of a collection to tie together digital identifiers with on-site locations.
- Project manager. Implementation of donor contract use, metadata standards, archival processing and creation of finding aids.
Special Library Association, Illinois Chapter___________August 16, 2018
- Creation and presentation of PowePoint about Internship at the Barack Obama Presidential Library.
- Professional association leadership.
Barack Obama Presidential Library June 2018 – Present
- Creation of Master Control Files, including file naming for database upload, 60 linear ft of Obama administration videotapes using Excel.
- Text and object re-housing, and series level arrangement, 50 linear ft. Discovery and correction of issues with the first processing of collections.
- Research and correction of Constituent Spreadsheet, including biographical links.
- Metadata creation for Social Media Collection, Valerie Jarrett, Twitter.
- 260 hr. internship completed.
Northwestern University May 2017-July 2017
- Excel accessioning of the Berkeley Folk Music Collection for digitization.
- Identifying specific information through Excel searches of large spreadsheets.
- Rehousing photographs, posters, and texts, providing preservation notes for the conservation team.
- Updating/editing multiple spreadsheets so that boxes of materials could be sent out for digitization.
- Practicing the first two steps of the Library of Congress, Digital Preservation Outreach & Education (DPOE), Identify and Select.
WFMT Radio Archive October 2016 – April 2017
- Used a transcription software program called Trint on the Studs Terkel Collection. Learned the pitfalls, and best practices of editing and refining, software generated audio scripts. Learned how the archivist works remotely with volunteers to ensure the quality of work generated.
- Learned techniques used to document assets, by generating metadata on a spreadsheet for a collection of tapes by Claudia Cassidy, rehousing and storing them appropriately until they can be digitized.
- Edited metadata in Starchive, and prepared data for cross-walking to different metadata schema.
Northwestern University October 2016 – January 2017
- Selection of university archive photographs for “Throwback” social media postings.
- Editing and creation of metadata for the university digital asset management system, Merlin. Generated metadata tags, keywords, and narrative descriptions, researching Northwestern history on 166 historical photographs from the university archive.
REI Coop July 2015 – Present
- Outfit customers for outdoor adventure and travel, clothing and footwear.
- Product demonstration and instruction.
- Merchandising, stocking, and inventory management.
- New employee training and coaching.
The Container Store December 2000 – February 2015
- Professional customer service using active listening to quickly identify customer needs. Explained services, issues and solutions to promote company campaigns, culture and sales.
- Excellence in CAD design and inventory management software, Microsoft Office. Used computers and phones extensively to communicate, organize, and close sales. Maintained commercial accounts.
- Consistent management of 10,000-product inventory to remain in the lowest percentage of loss for the company. Annual sales 9-12 million. Processed orders, shipments, and merchandised in teams.
- Handled daily cash receipts, submitted reports, analyzed metrics, wrote letters, made deposits and handled sensitive customer information per federal laws. Managed site and equipment repairs.
- Keyholder, opened and closed store in absence of managers. Wrote annual review notes for staff.
- Ongoing adaptation to changing business practices and ownership, online sales support and growth, proprietary software systems. Private company transitioned to private equity firm, and then went public.